Sunday, November 18, 2012

May the Mouse Be With You

A few weeks ago I flagged this story about Disney's struggling Internet division. I think it is still relevant in light of the Mouse's recent purchase of Lucasfilm.

I can't speak for every parent of Disney-crazed kids, but I know that mine consume so much Disney content and products that at some point I think they have their fill. Plus, my wife and I dearly want to limit the amount of time they spend staring at screens. So we're just not going to allow them to spend any time at Disney.com. I wouldn't be surprised if other parents didn't feel the same way, even if they are huge fans of Disney, like we are.

Which no doubt is part of the incentive for Disney to expand its reach with acquisitions like the Muppets, Marvel Comics, and Star Wars. It allows consumers to avoid Disney fatigue while still dumping dollars by the truckload in the company's coffers. Then of course there's the challenge of a company associated with children's entertainment trying to hold on to those kids as they grow older. Your kids might have outgrown Mickey Mouse and Jake and the Neverland Pirates, but not Spider-Man and Luke Skywalker.

It's diversification at its finest. How Disney capitalizes on its properties to turn around its Internet division is up to them to figure out, but something tells me that eventually they will.

No comments: